Role: Director of R&D
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
The Director of R&D leads and executes Onvector’s product development and applied process development initiatives. This includes management of existing programs as well as supporting the development of new research proposals. Initially, the Director of R&D will help implement a funded Phase II program for Onvector’s plasma water treatment technology in PFAS destruction as well as execute other technical development and validation plans. The role would be expected to grow to include creating an agenda of critical new R&D needs through identification of customer and market pain points.
The Director of R&D must become an in-house expert on the company’s domain of innovation and a leader on research efforts to improve, validate and deploy Onvector’s technology, reporting directly to top management. Overall, this role is focused on ensuring R&D activities drive Onvector’s competitiveness and impact however, from time to time, may include fundamental scientific inquiry.
This position requires strong, general knowledge of multiple domains of science including chemistry and physics, graduate-level training, prior research experience, as well as 3 years of managerial experience. Direct expertise in water treatment and/or plasma is desirable but not required.
- Execute against R&D agenda
- Coordinate and manage collaborators and vendors
- Oversee and assist engineers
- Contribute to the design of test protocols
- Collect, organize and interpret analytical data
- Write technical reports
- Otherwise support the CTO in all primary product and applied process development activities
- Advising, supporting and executing CTO & CEO technical decisions from strategic planning to tactical activities
- Acting as a scientific liaison/interface with regulatory bodies, quality assurance groups and customers
- Manage and mentor R&D staff
- Working with team members and departments effectively
- Accountable for all R&D engineering activities, including R&D spend, and development schedules
- Responsible for R&D program milestones and schedule, project costs, and quality of work product
- Managing R&D department budget and plans and drive for cost efficiencies
- Mentoring the R&D team in product design and development
- Ensure seamless product transfer in NPI phase from development to production and support
- Supporting sustaining engineering initiatives and improvement including production (contract manufacturing)
- Liaise with sales and marketing to develop new product and innovation strategies
- Ensuring that the R&D team maintains compliance with appropriate OSHA, state DEP and/or GLP guidelines
- Doctorate or masters degree in relevant technical field and a minimum of 3 years of experience in corporate research & development
- Must have supervisory experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs; MS word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to manage complex projects and multi-task
- Strong communication skills and IT fluency
- Ability to remain professional and courteous at all time
- Must be available to work occasional nights, holidays and weekends
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
The company is committed to equal employment opportunity. The company will not discriminate employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to: age, ancestry, childbirth or related medical condition; citizenship; color; creed familial status; gender expression; gender identity; genetic information; height; weight; marital status; national origin; physical or mental disability or handicap; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; uniform service member status or veteran status; or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.